This bread looks super delicious! I made something similar years ago, unfortunately my husband prefers plain bread. I should make this again one day though, in smaller portion...
- 2 1/4 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 60g freshly grated parmesan
- 60g grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup green olives, sliced
- 8 pieces sundried tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mixture of spring onion and Italian parsley
- 2 tsp thyme leaves or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk (or use 1 1/4 cup less 1 Tbsp fresh milk + 1 Tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice. Set aside for 10 minutes before using)
- Egg wash (optional) made from 1 egg yolk beaten with 2 tsp water
- Extra thyme springs and sea salt, for topping
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F. Generously butter a large loaf tin (23 x 13 x 6cm) and either line it with butter parchment paper or dust with flour. Set tin aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda, salt, pepper and mustard powder into a large bowl. Whisk with a whisk to incorporate the dry ingredients. Add both cheeses, olives, sundried tomatoes, spring onion, parsley and thyme and stir them thoroughly together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, then whisk in the oil and buttermilk until they are well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir together to form a thick, sticky batter. Scrape the batter into the prepared tin and spread it out evenly.
- Brush the top of the batter with the egg wash and then srpinkly some thyme leaves and sea salt onto the loaf.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until a fine skewer inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. If the top starts to burn, place a piece of foil to cover the top of the loaf and continue baking. Leave in tin for 5 minutes before turning ot onto a wire rack.
- This loaf is best served on the same day. Wrap left overs tighly and store in fridge. Gently reheat in oven if serving left overs.
Cheese, Olive and Buttermilk Herb Bread
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps