Really enjoyed the cake. I used fresh ginger instead of powdered, used a clean garlic press for juice and pulp. I added it to the liquids.
- 135 grams (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- a pinch of ground nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (optional)
- 2 tablespoons crystalized ginger chips
- 3/4 cup chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease a baking pan (I used two small paper loaf pans, but you can also use an 8 inch round cake pan or a single full sized loaf pan).
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the butter & brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg. Mix the buttermilk, molasses and flaxseed meal (if using) together, and add all at once to the butter mixture.
- Don't worry if it looks a bit curdy. Add the flour mixture and mix just until you get a smooth batter. Fold in the crystalized ginger and chocolate chips being careful not to overmix.
- Bake until a cake tester comes clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before serving.
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps