Unfortunately my husband prefers Crab Hushpuppies. I should make this again one day though, in smaller portion...
- oil, for frying
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup very fine bacon crumbles
- 1 cup fresh picked blue crabmeat
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, thyme, baking powder, salt, garlic pepper, baking soda and cayenne pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream. Add to cornmeal mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in onions, bacon, and crabmeat.
- Dip spoon into water and then a spoonful of the hushpuppy mixture. This will allow mixture to easily fall off the spoon. Drop by tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps