- 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate
- 1 stick unsalted butter (4 ounces)
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, and preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk flour, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl; set aside.
- Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray, and, fit an 8-by-16-inch sheet of aluminum foil in bottom of pan. (Foil overhangs both sides of the pan; use as handles to remove baked brownies from pan.) Coat foil with cooking spray.
- In a medium heat-proof bowl set over a pan of almost simmering water, melt chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally until mixture is smooth. (Alternatively, melt chocolate and butter in microwave oven.) Remove melted chocolate mixture from heat; whisk in 1 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla; then whisk in 3 eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each before adding the next.
- Continue whisking until mixture is completely smooth. Add dry ingredients; whisk until just incorporated.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese with remaining ¼ cup sugar, ½ teaspoon vanilla, and egg yolk until of even consistency.
- Pour half the brownie batter into prepared pan. Drop half the cream cheese mixture, by spoonfuls, over batter. Repeat layering and swirling with remaining brownie batter and cream cheese filling.
- Use blade of a table knife or a spoon handle to gently swirl batter and cream cheese filling, creating a marbled effect.
- Bake until edges of brownies have puffed slightly, center feels not quite firm when touched lightly, and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into center comes out with several moist, fudgy crumbs adhering to it, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cool brownies in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Use foil sling handles to lift brownies from pan.
- Place brownies on wire rack; allow them to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours. (To hasten cooling, place brownies in the freezer for about 1½ hours.) Cut into squares and serve. (Do not cut brownies until ready to serve. Whole bar can be wrapped in plastic wrap, then foil, and refrigerated up to 5 days.)
Cream Cheese Brownies
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps