This is a great recipe for sweet potato casserole. I found that 1/4 cup of sugar in the potato mixture is enough for my family's sweet tooth since the topping adds more sweetness. A secret for those who do not like "stringy" sweet potatoes...use a mixer to combine the sweet potatoes and other ingredients. All the strings from the sweet potatoes wrap around the beaters, so don't scrape them after mixing.
- 5 sweet potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake sweet potatoes 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until they begin to soften. Cool slightly, peel, and mash.
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, salt, 1/4 cup butter, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, and heavy cream. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup butter, flour, brown sugar, and chopped pecans. Mix with a pastry blender or your fingers to the consistency of course meal. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until topping is crisp and lightly browned.
Gourmet Sweet Potato Classic
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps