- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, grated
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- extra heavy cream for brushing the tops
- raw sugar for sprinkling the tops
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix 2 cups of flour, 1/2 cup sugar, the baking powder, orange zest, and salt. Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest speed. Combine the egg and heavy cream and, with the mixer on low speed, slowly pour into the flour and butter mixture. Mix until just blended. The dough will look lumpy. Add the blueberries to the dough, and mix on low speed until blended.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it into a ball. Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough 3/4-inch thick. You should see small bits of butter in the dough. Keep moving the dough on the floured board so it doesn't stick.
- Shape the dough into a square. Cut the square into quarters then cut again into eighths, diagonally, making triangles.
- Brush the tops of the scones with heavy creme, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tops are browned and the insides are fully baked. The scones will be firm to the touch.
- Serve warm with butter and preserves.
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps