This Old-Fashioned Lemon Bread is perfect anytime of the day and may be used as a dessert or snack! The Lemon Syrup can be made while the bread is baking, making this an easy-to-bake treat that is sure to be a favorite!
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- LEMON SYRUP (recipe follows)
- 2/3 cup (5 fl.-oz. can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel (about 1 lemon - reserve lemon for later use)
- 2 large eggs
- PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease and flour 8 x 4-inch baking pan.
- COMBINE flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Beat eggs, evaporated milk, oil and lemon zest together in medium bowl. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE for 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Using the skewer, poke numerous holes in the hot bread, piercing all the way to the bottom. Slowly drizzle the hot Lemon Syrup over the bread (Syrup will soak into the bread). Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes; run knife around edge of bread. Remove bread to wire rack to cool completely.
COMBINE 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice (1 lemon) in small, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and a light syrup is formed.
Old-Fashioned Lemon Bread
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps