My grandmother has made this recipe for 50+ years. We call it “buttermilk cake”. My friends call it “crack cake” because every time I make it for an event they inhale it in 10 minutes.
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (1 pound)
- 4 ounces of butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 1 pound (16 ounces) of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 8 x 8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Make the base first: mix together cake mix, butter and 1 egg.
- Pat into pan, create an even layer.
- Make the ooey gooey layer: Cream together the cream cheese, 2 eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Pour gooey layer over cake layer, spread to edges.
- Bake for 45 minutes* or until edges are golden brown, center should be a creamy yet solid consistency like cheesecake or heaven.
- Cool completely in pan before cutting into 1-inch sqaures with a clean, dry knife.
- For best square results, pop into freezer and chill before slicing.
Gooey Butter Bars
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps