I’ve made this today for the first time, it was really good. I had to use pumpkin puree, and although I used more pumpkin spice and sugar, there was not much pumpkin flavor.
- 5 1/2 - 7 1/2 cups 1-inch bread cubes (depending on type of bread)*
- 7 large eggs
- 2 cups milk (any kind)*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup pumpkin BUTTER (or 1/2 cup pumpkin puree)*
- 3-4 tablespoons brown sugar for topping
- nuts, like pecan or walnuts (optional)
- Cut any kind of bread into 1-inch cubes - I recommend a crusty, whole grain variety, but sandwich bread will work, too.
- Just use enough slice to fill a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish quite full.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, pumpkin butter and pie spice until well combined. Pour over bread and push down with a spoon or your hands until it's all soaked and mostly covered. Cover with saran wrap or lid and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees, uncover and top with brown sugar, additional pumpkin pie spice and nuts (optional).
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or golden brown and no longer wet.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, honey or agave nectar.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator covered for up to a couple days.
Pumpkin French Toast Bake
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps