BEST MOLASSES COOKIES EVER!!! Yes, I am that excited about these. I didn't have allspice and nutmeg, so I just added cinnamon and ginger.
- 3/4 cup shortening (3/4 cup correct amount)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar (reserved for coating raw dough balls)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (see note below)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Cream together shortening and brown sugar.
- Stir in egg and molasses and mix well.
- Fold in dry ingredients and stir.
- Cover and chill till firm (1-2 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Roll dough into small balls and roll in white sugar.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes.
- Leave on sheet one minute until set.
- I changed the amount of salt in here. My original recipe calls for 1 tsp of salt but that may be too much for some. A few people have made it as is (the majority) with no complaints on salt, however a few commented it was too much. I think 1/2 tsp can be used with no alterations to the recipe. I will leave it up to you either way you still WIN !
Soft Molasses Cookies
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps