This is probably the only way to get me to eat broccoli – mix it in with my favorite food – mac and cheese!!! Looks delish…
- 1 16 oz package large elbow macaroni, cooked to pkg.
- 2 medium heads fresh broccoli (14-16oz), but in small bite size pieces
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 can chicken broth
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- about 1/2 cup of extra cheese for topping
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In large pot, boil water and cook pasta to instructions, but leaving pasta a little al dente.
- About 3 minutes before draining pasta, add broccoli to cook in water alongside pasta.
- I like my broccoli a little firm, so that it doesn't end up mushy after the bake.
- You can decide how cooked you want your broccoli by adding it in sooner.
- Grease a large 9 x 12 baking dish.
- While pasta is cooking prepare the cheese and milk mixture.
- In large pot on medium heat, add butter and onion.
- Cook onions till soft, then add flour.
- Stir flour quickly to combine the flour and onion rue mixture.
- Add milk and chicken broth.
- Allow mixture to come to a boil and sauce will thicken.
- Remove from heat and add cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Drain your cooked pasta and broccoli and add to cheese mixture.
- Gently mix together and pour into baking dish. Add extra cheese and bread crumbs on top.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted with a nice crust.
Broccoli Mac and Cheese
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps