OMG My husband made this and used pizza sauce instead of tomato sauce and we put it over noodles, it was better then chicken parmazan and that is my favorite meal!! Loved it and it was quick and easy!
- 4 small (4 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 12 large, fresh basil leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 pieces roasted red pepper (available in jars), about 2 inches by 5 inches, ribs and membrane trimmed, patted dry
- 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (about 12 Tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 cups canned, plain tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place 2 chicken breasts in a 1 gallon Ziploc® Brand Freezer Bag and seal.
- Working from the thinnest to the thickest part of the chicken breast, pound each piece with a rolling pin, meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy skillet, being careful not to tear the meat, until it is 1/4-inch thick and approximately the size and shape of a 4-by-8-inch rectangle.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and set aside on a clean plate.
- Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Lay the chicken breast on a clean work surface or cutting board in front of you, horizontally, with one long (8-inch) edge toward you and the smooth side down. Layer each piece with 3 basil leaves, 1 piece of roasted red pepper and 2 Tablespoons of the shredded mozzarella (reserve remaining mozzarella for later).
- Roll one long edge toward the other long edge to enclose fillings—like a wrap—making sure the edges overlap slightly.
- Fold in the loose (short) ends and secure with toothpicks on each side.
- Pour 1 cup of the tomato sauce into a 9-by-12-inch nonaluminum baking dish that’s at least 2 inches deep, and distribute sauce evenly over bottom of dish.
- Place the rolled chicken breasts, seam side down, in the baking dish. Top each roll with the remaining 1/2 cup of tomato sauce (about 2 Tablespoons each) and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining 4 Tablespoons of shredded mozzarella (1 Tablespoon each) over the top of each chicken roll and broil on a low setting for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese melts and browns on top.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven, transfer the chicken breasts to plates, carefully remove toothpicks, spoon any remaining sauce from the baking dish around the chicken and serve immediately.
Chicken Mozzarella Roll-Ups
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps