This cake is delicious!!! It's not your mother's fruitcake. It will become one of our family traditions.
- 2 cups dried cherries, chopped if very large
- 1/2 cup brandy or rum, or 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 2 tablespoons Cake Enhancer, optional
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups candied red cherries
- 1 1/3 cups Raspberry Jammy Bits or Blueberry Jammy Bits (a combination is nice)
- 2 cups chocolate chips or chunks
- 2 1/2 cups diced pecans or walnuts, optional
- 3/4 cup simple syrup, brandy, or rum
- Combine the dried cherries with brandy, rum, or water.
- Cover and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, stir, then set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease the pans of your choice: two 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pans, five 7" wooden bakers, six 7" paper bake & give pans, one 12-cup bundt-style pan, or two 6-cup bundt-style pans.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, baking powder, salt, flavors, and cake enhancer.
- Beat in the eggs one at time. Stir in the flour alternately with the milk.
- Combine the dried cherries and their liquid, candied cherries, Jammy Bits, chocolate chips, and nuts.
- Stir into the cake batter.
- Spoon the batter into the lightly greased pans, filling them about three-quarters full. Bake for 50 to 100 minutes; the smaller the pan, the shorter the baking time. When done, the cakes will be a light golden brown all over, and a cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven. If you're removing them from the pan(s), wait about 10 minutes, then turn them out onto a rack. If you've baked them in paper pans, they can stay right in the pan.
- If you're using simple syrup, brush the warm cakes all over, continuing to brush until you've used it all.
- If you choose not to use the syrup, you may wish to brush the warm cake(s) with brandy or the liquor of your choice.
- When completely cooled, wrap well and let rest at least 24 hours (or for up to a month, brushing with liquor or syrup weekly), before serving.
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps