I have to say that cookie butter is amazing. Between that, regular peanut butter, and the dark chocolate peanut butter I have, I don’t trust myself near my baking shelf.
- 1 box Funfetti Moist Surpreme cake mix (use vanilla, white, butter, or yellow as alternates)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water, optional if necessary
- 3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 can (14-ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 heaping cup (just shy of 1/2 cup) cookie butter spread*
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a 9-by-13 inch pan by lining it with aluminum foil and then spraying it with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, butter, egg, vanilla and mix.
- The batter will be extremely thick and will be difficult to combine, but keep stirring or use your fingers and knead it together, adding the water if necessary.
- Press the dough it into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the coconut evenly over the dough, then sprinkle the three kinds of baking chips evenly.
- In a mixing bowl (the same one from the cake mix is fine), combine the sweetened condensed milk and cookie butter, stir until well combined, and pour mixture evenly over dough, using a spatula to even it if necessary.
- Bake for 24 to 26 minutes
- Or Bake for 26 to 30 minutes for drier and less gooey bars.
- Baking notes: Watch the edges of the bars and as they begin to brown and pull away slightly from the sides of the pan, I would pull them out. Note that the middle of the bars will barely seem set, even after the full recommended baking time and that is okay.
- Take care not to overbake because these are best when gooey.
- The bars will set up considerably upon cooling. Allow bars to cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Store in an airtight container on the countertop or refrigerate for up to a week, or freeze for up to three months.
- I store mine in the freezer and they never really freeze solid because of the fat content.
Cookie Butter Chip Bars
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps