These sandwiches were delicious. I cut the proportions of the milk/egg in half since my sandwiches were smaller. I left the kids with just the cheese but I added a fresh basil leaf from my garden to my sandwich. That was an awesome addition!!
- 1 pound fresh buffalo mozzarella, cut into 4 equal pieces about 3-inches by 4-inches
- 8 1/2-inch thick firm white sandwich bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- A grating of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place the mozzarella on 4 slices of the bread. Cover with the remaining slices to form sandwiches.
- Trim the crusts off to make perfect 4-inch squares.
- In a wide shallow bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add the cream, thyme leaves, salt, and nutmeg. Whisk until well blended.
- In a 10 to 12-inch nonstick saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat until smoking.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and cook until the sizzling subsides.
- Dip 2 of the sandwiches into the egg mixture, turning to coat, place in the pan, and cook until golden brown on the first side, about 2 minutes.
- Flip over and brown on the other side.
- Transfer the sandwiches to individual plates and repeat the process with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon butter, and 2 sandwiches.
- Cut in half, and serve immediately.
Grilled Mozzarella Sandwiches
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps