Just GREAT for thi recipe....
- 6 large egg yolks4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups milk
- 5 cups Chocolate Pound Cake, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk together egg yolks, eggs, and salt; set aside.
- In a large, nonreactive, heavy-bottomed saucepan combine sugar and 1/2 cup water.
- Place over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and comes to a boil.
- Increase heat to high and cook, brushing down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush but without stirring, until mixture becomes golden amber in color.
- Meanwhile, place cream in a small, nonreactive, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and cook until small bubbles appear around the edges of the pan; immediately remove from heat.
- Remove caramel from heat. When caramel has stopped bubbling, stir in about 1/4 cup of hot cream, taking care as caramel will begin to bubble up once cream is added.
- Continue adding the cream about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring, adding more cream when bubbles subside, until all cream has been used. Add milk and whisk to combine. Slowly whisk caramel mixture into reserved egg mixture.
- Place chocolate cake pieces in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Pour caramel mixture evenly over cake.
- Bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out almost completely clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.
Chocolate Caramel Bread Pudding
4/ 5Oleh Arbuzs Corps